CALL FOR PAPERS
The Centre for Legal and Institutional Translation Studies (Transius) will hold its next international conference from 30 June to 2 July 2021 in collaboration with IAMLADP’s Universities Contact Group (UCG). The conference will provide a forum for dialogue between scholars and practitioners with a common interest in legal translation and institutional translation settings more generally. It illustrates the Centre’s commitment to fostering international cooperation and advocating translation quality in the field.
The 2021 conference will combine keynote lectures, parallel paper presentations, a poster session and thematic roundtables, so that all participants, from high-level experts to translation trainees, can benefit from the exchange of experiences. Contributions on the following themes are welcome:
- Problems, methods and competence in legal translation, including comparative legal analysis for translation
- Terminological issues in legal and institutional translation
- The use of corpora and computer tools for legal and institutional translation practice, training and research
- Sociological and ethical issues in legal and institutional translation
- Developments and implications of institutional policies of translation and multilingual drafting
- Thematic specialisation in institutional translation (technical, scientific, financial, etc.)
- Translation quality control, quality assurance and management practices in institutional settings
- Court translation and interpreting
- Legal and institutional translator training
We welcome proposals for individual or collective contributions on the conference topics in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish in either of two formats: papers (for 20-minute presentations) or posters (of a maximum size of 100 x 120 cm).
Institutional practitioners from IAMLADP organisations are also invited to submit proposals on the above topics (they will also receive a separate announcement through the UCG). Based on these proposals, thematic panels and roundtables will be organised to stimulate debate, and selected speakers will be invited to moderate or join roundtables.
The deadline for the submission of all proposals is 30 October 2020. Further information on the online submission process will be circulated in September 2020 through the Transius Centre’s website and Twitter account.
A maximum of two proposals may be submitted per author. It will be assumed that the language of the abstract (between 200 and 250 words excluding references) will be the language of the presentation.
The keynote speakers will be confirmed shortly.
Fernando PRIETO RAMOS (chair)
Carmen BESTUÉ (Autonomous University of Barcelona), Łucja BIEL (University of Warsaw), Anabel BORJA ALBI (Jaume I University), Le CHENG (Zhejiang University), Valérie DULLION (University of Geneva), Jan ENGBERG (University of Aarhus), Annarita FELICI (University of Geneva), Mathilde FONTANET (University of Geneva), Jean-Claude GÉMAR (University of Montreal and University of Geneva), Sonia HALIMI (University of Geneva), Jeffrey A. KILLMAN (UNC Charlotte), Anne LAFEBER (United Nations), Karen MCAULIFFE (University of Birmingham), Gianluca PONTRANDOLFO (University of Trieste), Fernando PRIETO RAMOS (University of Geneva), Peter SANDRINI (University of Innsbruck), Susan ŠARČEVIĆ (University of Rijeka), Karolina STEFANIAK (Directorate-General for Translation, European Commission), Melissa WALLACE (University of Texas at San Antonio), Catherine WAY (University of Granada).
- Deadline for the submission of abstracts: 30 October 2020
- Notification of acceptance: 11 December 2020
- Early registration: 2 November 2020 – 15 January 2021
- Standard registration: 16 January – 31 March 2021
- Late registration: 1 April – 10 June 2021
- Conference dates: 30 June – 2 July 2021
The registration process and other practical information will be available from September 2020. Participants from IAMLADP institutions and UCG universities will be exempt from registration fees. Special discounts will be offered to members of associations such as AIIC, AITC, AITI, APTIJ, ASETRAD, ASTJ, ASTTI, BDÜ, CBTI, CTPCBA, DÜV and Jus Lingua.