The Centre for Legal and Institutional Translation Studies (Transius) will hold its next international conference on 18-20 June 2018 in collaboration with IAMLADP’s Universities Contact Group (UCG). The conference will provide a forum for dialogue between scholars and practitioners with a common interest in legal translation and institutional translation settings more generally. It illustrates the Centre’s commitment to fostering international cooperation and advocating translation quality in the field.
The 2018 conference will combine keynote lectures, parallel paper presentations, a poster session and thematic roundtables, so that all participants, from high-level experts to translation trainees, can benefit from the exchange of experiences. Contributions on the following themes are welcome:
- Problems, methods and competence in legal translation, including comparative legal analysis for translation
- Terminological issues in legal and institutional translation
- The use of corpora and computer tools for legal and institutional translation practice and research
- Sociological and ethical issues in legal and institutional translation
- Developments and implications of institutional policies of translation and multilingual drafting
- Thematic specialisation in institutional translation (technical, scientific, financial, etc.)
- Translation quality control, quality assurance and management practices in institutional settings
- Court translation and interpreting
- Legal and institutional translator training
Institutional practitioners are also invited to submit proposals on the above topics, especially under thematic strands 2 to 8.** Based on accepted proposals, thematic panels and roundtables will be organised to stimulate debate, and selected institutional partners will be invited to contribute to these sessions.
The submission of proposals for standard participants closed on 13 November 2017.
Practitioners from IAMLADP international organisations willing to participate in roundtables or parallel sessions may submit their proposals by email directly () by 27 November 2017. For more information, please contact your IAMLADP representative.
Marta CHROMÁ (Charles University in Prague)
Jean-Claude GÉMAR (University of Montreal and University of Geneva)
Karen MCAULIFFE (University of Birmingham)
Anabel BORJA ALBI (Jaume I University), Łucja BIEL (University of Warsaw), Le CHENG (Zhejiang University), Valérie DULLION (University of Geneva), Jan ENGBERG (University of Aarhus), Annarita FELICI (University of Geneva), Mathilde FONTANET (University of Geneva), Jean-Claude GÉMAR (University of Montreal and University of Geneva), Sonia HALIMI (University of Geneva), Anne LAFEBER (United Nations), Karen MCAULIFFE (University of Birmingham), Mariana OROZCO JUTORÁN (Autonomous University of Barcelona), Fernando PRIETO RAMOS (University of Geneva), Colin ROBERTSON (Council of the European Union), Peter SANDRINI (University of Innsbruck), Susan ŠARČEVIĆ (University of Rijeka), Catherine WAY (University of Granada).
- Deadline for the submission of abstracts: 13 November 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 20 December 2017
- Early registration: 13 November 2017 – 15 January 2018
- Standard registration: 16 January 2018 – 31 March 2018
- Late registration: 1 April – 31 May 2018
- Conference dates: 18-20 June 2018